Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Why am I doing this?

CAPTION: I am a non-remarkable male who leads a very ordinary life with a wonderful family near Chicago, Illinois. I will be 57 years old shortly and have spent a growing amount of time contemplating my accomplishments (or lack thereof), travels, experiences and general results of time spent so far on this planet. I am not overly impressed or depressed with what I have done, but I definitely feel as though I have not practiced what I believe to the full extent of my ability.
The question of why this has occurred is very complex and could easily obscure my intentions for this blog, so I will not dwell on the subject for long. It is clear to me, however, that I cannot blame the human condition or the culture that I live in for my lackluster performance in my half-century to date. I am not, and have not been, an unwilling victim of the smothering effects of capitalism and convenience that permeates and defines the environment that I have agreed to live in.
So I take full responsibility for being relatively overweight and for the sagging, poorly conditioned physique that houses my intellect and my spirit.
QUESTION: So why am I fasting?
Reason one: I am fasting to see if I can. I want to know how much free will I actually possess versus what I profess to possess. I may as well acknowledge the truth before I exit this phase of life.
Reason two: I sincerely believe that fasting is physically beneficial for me. I have paid absolutely no attention to my body for fifty-odd years and have enjoyed the short-term, sensory experiences that questionable edible and libatious comestibles have delivered. As a result, I am overweight and out of shape. So I have read two books that have had a remarkable impact on me: Hunger: An Unnatural History by Sharman Apt Russell and The Fasting Path: For Spiritual, Emotional, and Physical Healing and Renewal by Stephen Harrod Buhner. There are many other books available on the subject but these two convinced me that the process is valid and could bring me the benefits that I seek. I need to detoxify at this point in my life and I have come to believe that fasting is an efficient method of cleansing.
Reason three: In my personal search for life’s meaning I have become a baptized Mennonite. Although fasting is not a recognized doctrine of the Mennonite Church, I have received personal spiritual approval and, perhaps, incentive to proceed with this cleansing.
Reason four: I want to see if I can determine how much of my intake is instinctual; how much is compulsory and/or addictive input type behavior; and how much is necessary for me to live.
QUESTION: So why am I fasting and blogging about it?
Reason one and only: To make a declaration to the world, albeit unimportant for anyone to read this except me. I am inclined to think that this public announcement will make me more accountable to myself and will force me to filter, focus and consolidate my thoughts on what is happening to me due to the fact that I am writing about them daily.
Summary: I am fasting and writing about it. I will be absolutely amazed if this interests anyone but it if does, and you have something to say about it, you are more than welcome to enter your comments in this blog.

No comments: