Friday, March 21, 2008

Day Eleven 6:27 AM

I made it through yesterday although I did feel kind of weak. My extremities (hands/feet) get cold quickly but otherwise I felt pretty normal.

I am convinced that this whole issue of food is psychological. It's all in the mind. Completely.

I have not suffered at all and I have not had food in my mouth or stomach for ten complete days and eleven counting today. How could it be so simple for me not to eat while everyone in this culture freaks out if they miss lunch (myself included)? Are we so driven by our instincts that we can't recognize them for what they are?

Forty days and forty nights might be an ordeal. That's different. Maybe the days get tougher incrementally as the times rachets up, I don't know. But I know I could go twenty days from having done this ten, almost eleven days.

I feel no ill effect whatsoever and from the two books that I have read, there are nothing but beneficial effects from this exercise. Nowhere but in the United States are fasts looked down upon with such distain and I am mystified as to why this is. When I lived in Italy, as a small example, fasting was a normal rite of Catholic religious dogma. Maybe it's because it interrupts our comfort. We are a very comfort oriented culture and perhaps anything that challenges our comfort and obscene abundance is categorized as unacceptable.

Anyway, enough of my mental diarrea. Today I face day eleven. We'll see . . .

No comments: