Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Day Eight 6:19 AM

I never would have believed that I would go eight days when I started this thing. I never do. That's why the power of doing it a day at a time is so effective. Each morning I wake up I just make a decision on whether I can go the entire day without food and the answer, so far, has been yes. Then my goal is to make it through one single day, each day, and that's not tough for me to do.

Had I begun this whole process with a two week or eight day goal in mind, I would have buried a burger in my pie hole on day two.

So today I fell just like yesterday. I don't feel particularly weak or low on energy or anything in particular. Just normal. We'll see how the day proceeds but I suspect it will be just like yesterday.

I tell nobody about this. The Bible tells us that fasting is between us and God and not for our own glorification on earth (although I don't know how being labeled as a "nut" can be considered glorification), so I am keeping this stuff to myslef. Nobody reads this blog but me so there's no danger there and even if someone would read it, they would not know who I am. I am more putting the idea out into cyberspace that this can be done with relative ease and minor discomfort rather than exemplifying myself as an extraordinary human being.

I feel like I am doing a phenominal favor to my body. It processes the water I put into it quickly because it's not burdened down with a lot of other functions that I have demanded of it. I am not losing a great deal of weight, believe it or not, but I definitely feel that I am detoxifying elements that I've been walking around with for a long time.

So I will be walking around today, mixing and interacting with my fellow citizens of Arlington Heights, and I will not have put food in my mouth for eight days. Everyone else is thinking, in the back of their minds, of the next meal . . . or snack. Just like I was eight days ago. But today, I am free of that instinctual overshadow.

It feels incredible.

No comments: