Sunday, March 16, 2008

Day Six 6:32 AM

Today has begun the same as any other, normal as can be. I am sitting at the computer in my bathrobe and checking my email. I have no anxities, noticable fears, physical discomforts or pressing psycological distractions. Everything seems to be as it should be.

The differences between how I feel physcially different today as compared to five days ago are relatively minimal. I feel a little bit weaker in the legs. I get, sometimes, dizzy if I stand up too fast but other than that I feel pretty intact and normal. I will be going to the gym today with one of my sons (to do strictly cardio and not too much of it) and I'll be able to tell what my phycial condition is then.

When thoughts of eating occur to me now, they don't even have a chance. I am euphoric about the fact I've been able to go six days without food and the feeling of accomplishment coupled up with the excitement of being able to go even more, day by day, overwhelms any short-term idea that I would throw the whole thing away for a piece of food. A similar form of this psychological process helped me to stop smoking. I suffered for the first couple of days but once I got some time "banked", I didn't want to throw away the "dues" I had paid to get where I was. The more days I accumulated, the more I had to lose and this worked for me. I wanted to protect the time I had invested so I praised it and elevated it, in focus and importance, in my mind to the point that my past accomplishments overwhelmed the impluses of the present.

Today is Sunday so I'll be heading off to church in a few hours. The people in my congregation are the only ones who do not look at this process as completely bizarre. In the past, when I have brought it up, everyone to a person has responded with a form of, "Oh my God! You have to eat! What are you, crazy?", so I have stopped bringing it up. Fasting is very normal and is present in most other cultures and in the Bible. That's why my church buddies see it as normal. The Mennonites are a wonderful bunch. I was not brought up Mennonite so it's all relatively new to me but I have researched it quite extensively (by my own personal standards). I come from a long line of Amish so becoming Mennonite is not that far off of what my generic tendency would indicate.

I don't think I'm losing much weight but this is not about weight loss. I'll weigh myself tomorrow maybe and see.

I am boring myself so I'll sign off until later on today or tomorrow.

1 comment:

Sam H. said...

Hey Dan, you're lasting longer than I could.... last time I tried to fast I lasted about 2 days, and I ended the fast with greasy Mexican food. Not smart.

See you soon!

Sam