Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Days 1,2,3,4 & 5 (the 6th being July 15th)

I wish to acknowledge, and then dismiss, the fact that I began my fast five days ago and did not journal it in this blog. I have over-thought the handful of plausible explanations that might clarify my episodic dementia, but have adopted not-a-one as usable (that’s why I made my motion to dismiss the subject once I run through the excuses).

Perhaps I was lazy. Maybe I just didn’t believe that I would be able to continue this, particular fast to any significant point and rather than bother with journaling a failure, I just wanted to make sure it got off the ground (this seems to be the best excuse even though its accuracy must remain in doubt). It could be that I didn’t want to make a commitment to myself to actually begin another fast and blogging it would have forced me into it. In the end, who knows and who cares. This is only me talking to me anyway, so onward I go with my chronicle of the experience.

I have had many failures and false starts in the interim between the last 6 day fast and this one. I wanted to begin quite a few times but there always seemed to be an important inconvenience or a handy, perfect excuse pleading with me to use it. This commitment problem could speak to my lack of purpose in this fast. This should probably be added to the list of good excuses for not chronicling in the preceding paragraph. So now I will speak to this issue of purpose.

I am fasting because it amazes me that I can do it. So maybe it gives my self-esteem a bump up to witness the self-control that I can muster against my instinctual, carnal drives. I’m not admitting to this, just mentioning it as a possibility. Through the miniscule amount of reading that I have done on the subject (albeit emanating from very credible and believable authority), I am convinced that this is a healthy pursuit. I would never put myself in the position of recommending it to anyone else, but for me it is a very worthwhile pursuit for several reasons: It cleans me out physically and psychologically; I lose a little weight which takes me to a healthier place; I have more time to think about things other than the preparation , buying, fantasizing, eating and post-consumptive remorse, of food; I have been coming across more and more reference to fasting as a spiritual tool in my continued study of the Bible . . . so I think I’m covered on many beneficial fronts.

This actual experience is not much different than what I remember the other ones being. I am in my mid-sixth day and am not feeling any negative effects of not having eaten any solid food for almost a week. The liquid that I have consumed has primarily been water but there have been a couple of cups of tea a day as well. Other than yesterday, when I drank a glass of unsweetened grapefruit juice, I have not had any juice at all.

I am able to walk about an hour and a half a day without noticing any lack of energy at all. In fact, I have been reading a fascinating book authored by Richard J. Foster entitled, “Freedom of Simplicity” which has put my spirit in an easy state of comfort. I would recommend this book as the perfect compliment, as a matter of fact, to any fast. Maybe I will read another of his books during the next fast I engage in.

So, with this nonsensical monologue having run its course to boredom, I will sign off. Perhaps tomorrow I will have something more interesting to note.

No comments: